For certain domains and document types, monolingual PEMT is being
adopted by many of the world’s leading LSPs
With the ever-increasing advances in neural MT, recent studies have shown that a high-quality monolingual editor (that has good language skills in the target language and understands the domain) can produce results that are on par with those of a professional bilingual post-editor.
When the monolingual post-editor is a domain expert in the material being translated, the monolingual post-editor can produce completely correct translations over 95% of the time, leaving only 5% of text to be checked by the bilingual post-editor.
Cost efficiencies to be gained
Using a monolingual post-editor can serve to effectively triage the translation process by forwarding on to bilingual post-editors only those segments which are too difﬁcult for the monolingual post-editor to handle.
“A professional linguist that has deep knowledge of the subject area can always tell if a machine translation is showing incorrect terminology or doesn’t make sense”.
When should we consider using monolingual PEMT?
Many leading LSPs are now asking themselves the question; “when do we need to assign content to a professional human translator, and when can we achieve greater profitability by using monolingual PEMT to handle this task?”
Factors to consider when weighing up the options could be:
• Where is this content to be published?
• Who is the target audience?
• What is the core purpose of this content?
• Is it possible that this content will be further revised after publication?
• What are the legal restrictions (if any) regarding this content?
• Are there any brand guidelines that need to be followed?
For certain document types, our workflow model can be used to drastically reduce TEP costs and increase profitability
LSP Translates via MT Engine.
On average, only 5 to 10% of the text requires bilingual attention – thereby dramatically reducing costs when compared to the standard TEP process.
English Monitor’s monolingual domain experts assess the MT output.
Ambiguous text segments and obvious word salads are highlighted and commented upon for the bilingual reviewer.
The final reviewer attends to only those few sections that require bilingual intervention.
The overall project cost is drastically reduced because the bilingual post-editor reviews only those sections highlighted by the English Monitor editor.
We have monolingual domain experts in the following areas:
- Academic & Scientific English
- Legal English
- Medical, life-sciences and pharmaceutical English
- Financial English
- Technical and Engineering English
- Marketing, PR & Advertising English
- English for IT and Software
- Travel, tourism and hospitality English
- English for FMCG, retail & labelling
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) / Resume